These historic photos from the 1971 San Juan Bautista Fiesta Rodeo parade were recently provided by Art Wagner, a long-time band member!
1. Here is Art, skillfully banging on his drum with a beer can.
2. Bob Pence is heading up the sax section.
4. Neil Ingles was a fine drummer in the early days.
5. Dave Bennett could keep his beer and his pipes all under control!
6. Here we have John “Boris” Kennedy and Bob Pence on saxes, Art on bass drum, Dave Bennett on bagpipes,
Mike Fischer on ????, Al Watson on violin, and Teddy Ballard on Sousaphone.
7. The counter-marches were a little loose, even in those days!
9. Boris looks like he is completely in command of the situation!
10. A nice 3-way shot of Al Watson, Art, and Arjo.
11. Teddy Ballard played Sousaphone in those days.
12. Another fine counter-march maneuver!
13. Smiley and Neil Ingles joined Art to form the percussion section.
14. Bill Rhoades (the B.M.) on baritone horn and ???? are in good form.
15. Art swapped his beer can for the drum mallet, just for kicks!
16. We had a nice age mix of members, just like today!
17. We used wooden poles for banner supports in those days, which were a bit heavy.
But, fortunately, the Los Trancos women were then known for their superior strength!
19. Mike enjoys a bit of refreshment en route!
If YOU have some historic shots like these,